Fullmetal Alchemist is a great anime universe, but in what order should you watch order and guide for those animes?
Fullmetal Alchemist is a successful anime with brilliantly written characters and an immersive story. It is based on a manga of the same name created by Hiromu Arakawa. As its name suggests, the story follows two brothers who try to resurrect their mothers by using alchemy. The work also includes some witty jokes, and references to the clash between science and religion.
There are two animes of Fullmetal Alchemist:
- Fullmetal Alchemist (FMA) (2003)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (FMAB) (2009)
And there are some more productions which are based on the same work:
- Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa (2005)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (Movie, 2017)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Reflections (Recap)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Premium Collection
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: 4-Koma Theater
What is the difference between Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?
Although they are based on the same story, the two animes revolve around different plots. While FMAB focuses more on the manga, FMA does not necessarily stick to it. The amount of fillers in FMA is significantly higher than in FMAB. Both provide an excellent experience for the viewers, regardless of the watch order, which we’ll talk about right about now.
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) has a season consisting of 51 episodes, each running approximately for 25 minutes. On the other hand, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009) 64 episodes, each with an approximately 30 minutes of air times.
Fullmetal Alchemist Recommended Watch Order
As we said, the animes do not follow the same timeline despite being about the same characters. Here’s how we recommend watching Fullmetal Alchemist, though it does not matter if you watch FMAB first.
- Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
- Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa (2005, it concludes the original anime)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Specials
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (side story, 2011)
You do not have to watch the other OVAs, which are not whatsoever connected to the main story. To conclude, we can say it does not matter whether you watch FMA of FMAB first. Because they are not chronologically related.
What is Fullmetal Alchemist about?
Those productions are about two brothers who try to resurrect their mother by using alchemy, with which they’re gifted. Their quest is not that easy though, as they damage their body while trying to be alchemists. The only thing now that will save them is the Philosopher’s Stone, which they try to obtain.